[Stackless] Can't embed Stackless in C++ using MinGW

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:49:11 CEST 2008

2008/9/16 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I will continue with that for now, but it would be good to get it
>> working with MinGW because a lot of hobbyist game devs use it.
>
> It works with MinGW.  I've used it to compile a Windows native version.
> I've used it to cross-compile a version of Stackless for the Nintendo DS.
>
> I believe the problem here is that, as you have stated, you are using a
> custom tool which you are reticent to tinker with its custom MinGW
> environment.

Or that part of the instructions on stackless.com don't work. ;)  As
you say, it (presumably) works with MinGW if you build it entirely
from source, but one method given is to simply use the headers and
libs supplied in the binary snapshot, and that doesn't work, through
no fault of the compiler or my local environment. The implication is
that if you can build against Python currently, which I can, then you
should be able to build against Stackless after adding the headers and
libs, which I can't.

MinGW does come as a wide selection of tools and packages and not
everybody who uses it will have all the added command line toolchain
like configure and make. In particular, many users will be executing
the compiler via an IDE such as Code::Blocks or Dev-C++ which, while
nominally being 'custom MinGW environments', will compile most other
projects without any other changes required except for adding the
relevant include/library paths.

This isn't a demand to support those environments, by the way. I think
just a little warning on the download/installation page would help, to
avoid confusion. I'd be willing to dig further into it to try and work
out how to fix it myself, if I had a hint on which configuration
option it appears to be tripping up on.

Cheers,
Ben Sizer