[Stackless] Example Re: Requesting Comments for a Deadlock Detection Module

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 23:05:56 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:02 PM,  <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Again, Christian, thanks for your comments. I wish people would try out the detector - so I can get feedback and improve it.

The best time to try out something like this, is of course when the
problem unexpectedly arises.  Unless anyone has any outstanding
deadlocks they are working around, it might be hard to do this.

It might be worthwhile do something along these lines:
a) Check this into the Stackless Examples repository (if you have a
suitable account, I can give you access).
b) Edit the wiki there to work in the deadlock detector in the right place.
c) Add a page on the Stackless wiki which addresses the topic of deadlocks.
d) Work out how to best make it visible on the Stackless web site (as
the wiki is a little bit of a black hole) and we'll link it in.

Personally, I prefer a postmortem approach like this:

  http://code.google.com/p/stacklessexamples/source/browse/trunk/libraries/uthread-ccp/uthread.py#660

Place the deadlock detection at the lowest level and periodically
monitor unexpected behaviour.  Then when unpredictable behaviour
occurs in a live situation, which is not likely reproducible in a test
environment, postmortem information is available.  And
unpredictability in my experience, tends to be best demonstrated by as
full a picture of the logic flow as possible.  This means a call stack
with local variables.