[Stackless] lua vs. stackless python

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 24 19:21:24 CEST 2009

Hi Folks:

> Whether someone would choose Lua or Stackless Python for
> coroutines is probably a matter of preference for the language
> itself.  But one thing Stackless might provide that Lua does not, is the
> ability to block C function calls as well as Python function calls
> given that we shift C stack sections in and out with tasklets.  Or
> the ability to persist and unpersist in a cross platform way, running
> tasklets.

I just started reading up on Lua and Erlang (interested in hot swapping). Lua coroutines like Stackless Python, are implemented in user space. I don't see the equivalent of a channel. As for persistence. There seems to be a third party package, Pluto that does this. I find this interesting because the question of implementing execution state pickling outside of Stackless Python (I guess for greenlets) was raised a few weeks ago.

Christian gets an honourable mention in this paper: "Revisiting Coroutines"
http://www.inf.puc-rio.br/~roberto/docs/MCC15-04.pdf

(Interesting paper)

In regards to blocking, Lua has the same issues. And similar solutions, like luaSocket, that seems to work like StacklessSocket

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~diego/professional/luasocket

Like Richard said, choice of Python or Lua probably depends on your preferences.

Not that I necessarily see this as a competition, I wonder what Stackless/PyPy needs to stay ahead of the curve?