[Stackless] Python25.dll crashing on Windows 7

Colleen Williams (Smart Marketing & Events) v-collw at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 6 23:38:45 CEST 2009

I'm a Program Manager at Microsoft working with the Windows Error Reporting team and we gather crash information from users for applications and drivers on Windows. We've been gathering Windows 7 crash data for 3rd party vendors such as yourself and need some assistance with the following crash.

Python25.dll is crashing consistently on all Windows 7 builds. You may already be aware of the issue but it appears the crash is related to a manipulation of stacks. The app manipulates the C stack directly for its own implementation of lightweight threads. This means a Stack Buffer Overrrun could be coming from almost anything it's doing. This is causing almost 4000 crashes per day since mid-June. The version we're seeing crashing the most is 2.5.4150.1013.

The symptoms and applications in these crashes vary, so it's possible we are looking at multiple issues. Microsoft does not have debugging symbols for your product. This makes it more difficult for our automation to correctly assign which module is most likely to be the root cause of the failure. Occasionally, our automation will attribute blame incorrectly. If this happens, please send us an example error report with your analysis, and tell us how to correctly identify the failing module.

If you have a newer version available or a place on your website where you discuss this error and ways to work around it, I can post a response to users and point them your direction so they can obtain a fix. Our goal is to have a positive end user experience with your product and Windows and we need your assistance to reach that goal.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if I can provide any information to help you debug this crash.

Colleen Williams
PM for WER
425-421-9009