[Stackless] Problem with the installation

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:20:56 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Moha CSO<gameover.rex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Umm.. I installed Python stackless
> "http://www.stackless.com/binaries/python-2.6.2-stackless.msi"
> then I downloaded
> "http://www.stackless.com/binaries/stackless-python-262.zip"
> so then I installed the msi one and everything is okay, until I finished the
> installation:
> and I tried to run this python but the error message I told you about
> appears,
> so I thought maybe I have to extract the files from the second link you
> called it
> binary snapshots: so I extracted them in the folder
> C:\python\THE_SECOND_LINK
> but the message still appears, I am using windows vista, I also used to use
> python 2.6.2 the main one from python.org
> and It worked perfect
> but I uninstalled it to install the stackless one, because when I wanted to
> install stackless while the normal python is installed
> I couldn't, that's why I uninstalled the normal one...

I also have http://www.stackless.com/binaries/python-2.6.2-stackless.msi
installed on Windows Vista.  It works fine for me.  Without a specific
description of what you mean by "try to run", I cannot help you.

Regarding also installing
http://www.stackless.com/binaries/stackless-python-262.zip.  This is
intended for a specific purpose, from the Stackless web site:

"""
Complete installations of Stackless Python are not provided for all
versions of Python. If this is the case for the version you are
interested in, to get it installed you can follow these steps:

   1. Download the appropriate standard Python distribution.
   2. Download the zip archive provided here.
   3. Install the official distribution.
   4. Extract the zip archive into the directory where you installed
the official distribution.
"""

The above instructions may be a little ambiguous.  The zip file is to
be used in addition to the installer for the same version from
python.org, it makes an install of Python into a Stackless install of
the same version.  So it should be extracted over the top of the
Python install directory in a sensible way.

Given that you cannot get the Stackless installer to run, I expect
that the zip file will probably give you the same result.  But I do
not have the information to know why it will not run.