[Stackless] Success and Thanks! : [pypy-dev] Advice needed debugging a Sys.exit error

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 20:08:28 CET 2009

Hi Carl and Stephan:

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:45:44 +0100
>From: Carl Friedrich Bolz <cfbolz at gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: [pypy-dev] Advice needed debugging a Sys.exit error
>    involving py.py    and Stackless.py
>To: pypy-dev at codespeak.net

CB>unfortunately I don't really have time to dig deeply into your code. I
CB>just wanted to give you the following hint: if you install greenlets for
CB>CPython, you can test the lib/stackless.py code on top of CPython.

Carl, I took your advice and ran stackless.py on top of greenlets and
CPython. The test programmes worked! I will write more tests in the days
to come. However this is a really need approach. This should be documented
somewhere for other folks to try!

CB>This makes it possible to distinguish problems in the pure app-level
CB>code in lib/stackless.py from problems in the RPython-implementation of
CB>coroutines in PyPy. Given that you are changing the applevel code only,
CB>it is much more likely that the problem is actually caused by something
CB>you changed.

I changed only stackless.py. In turn, I changed very little code outside
of adding the select function. I am not sure what I am looking for but I
started to look at pypy/module/_stackless for clues. If I had to guess,
I am thinking a culprit may involve stackless_flags - I am not setting
a flag in the correct spot in the new code.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Andrew