[Stackless] announcing Concurrence Framework

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Fri Jan 16 00:30:15 CET 2009

Am Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:22:37 +0100
schrieb "Henk Punt" <henkpunt at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce the availablility of the 'Concurrence
> Framework'. (http://concurrence.googlecode.com)
>
> Basically it is a library build on top of Stackless that enables the
> easy creation of high performance network servers
> (http servers, chat servers, comet servers etc etc).
>
> It is similar in scope to the Twisted framework, but it uses a
> Lightweight-processes-with-message-passing approach to concurrency as
> opposed to Twisteds event-driven model.
>
> I have created this framework out of frustration with Twisteds model.
> After working for some years with Twisted it has become apparent to me
> that the event-driven model for IO/socket programming although very
> performant, quite easily leads to difficult to maintain program
> code...
>
> Instead I would prefer to program in a 'blocking' style like you would
> traditionally do with threads. At the same time I still would like to
> retain
> the performance and lack of threading issues of event-driven IO.
>
> This is what the Concurrence Framework provides... (trough Stackless
> and libevent)
>
> Most notably it already includes:
> - a Socket API,
> - a DBAPI 2.0 compatible implementation of a MySQL Driver
> - an implementation of a HTTP1.1/WSGI compliant webserver.
>
> Some components are implemented in Pyrex for speed (low level
> interface to libevent, IO buffer interface, low-level MySQL stuff).
>
> The code is currently quite usable, but some interfaces might still
> change as I gather feedback from the community.
>
> In the following weeks I will try to finalize the core documentation
> and I will create a proper website to host it.
>
> In the meantime, anyone interested can checkout the code from coogle
> code:
>
> svn checkout http://concurrence.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ concurrence
>
> from there please follow the instructions in INSTALL.TXT (currently
> Linux/MacOSX only).
>
> Documentation can be found in doc/_build/html/index.html, but this is
> a work in progress...
> Examples used in the documentation can also be found in the examples
> directory. The unittests in the test directory could also provide
> some guidance on how to use the framework.
>
> Issues/feedback can be mailed to me or you can add an issue on
> http://code.google.com/p/concurrence/issues/list.

I just noticed that there is no mailing list nor a way to contact you
from the google page. OTOH, perhaps the usernames displayed map 1:1 to
gmail.com email addresses? *wonder*

What I wondered is, if concurrence can handle real threads too? I
wondered because DB connections can take quite a bit of time to
establish, so I wonder how you deal currently with that?

TIA,

Andreas