[Stackless] announcing Concurrence Framework

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Fri Jan 16 19:25:55 CET 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Denis Bilenko wrote:

> Interesting!
>
> I spent some time with eventlet, a networking library built on top of
> greenlet (for CPython).
> It has the exact same goals as you stated below and aims to provide
> the same set of services.
>
> Here's an example that can get you feel of the library
> http://devel.ag-projects.com/~denis/cgi-bin/hgweb.cgi/file/tip/examples/connect.py
>
> I wonder if there are any reasons to prefer Concurrence to Eventlet.
> Is there anything that greenlets fundamentally cannot do that
> Stackless can?
>
> Is there something Concurrence can do that Eventlet will never be
> able to?
> Maybe there's stability/performance difference?

Functionally there is not a lot of theoretical difference,
aside from a few "conveniences". :-)

However Greenlet relies solely on stack-bashing for tasklet switching.
I believe,
in many cases, Stackless's ability to "unroll" of the eval loop ("soft
switching") will
have better performance characteristics.