[Stackless] 'Normal' sys.path being used instead of Stackless one

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 17:17:40 CET 2009

2009/1/18 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) Why does this happen?  I'm guessing it comes from
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\PythonPath in the
>> Windows registry. (Referencing
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2003-August/221621.html
>> .)
>
> Probably.  This is a standard Python thing, Stackless can only be
> installed as the Python installation of a given version, it can't run
> cleanly side-by-side and this is not going to change.

May I ask why? Is it that this has been looked into before and found
to be difficult? Or just that there's no interest in such a thing?

For me it becomes a maintenance problem where I have to rebuild every
binary library I may use, whether I am using Stackless functionality
for a given project or not. With library distribution via easy_install
and eggs becoming more common, this becomes more problematic.

>> 2) How can I make it only look in my Stackless installation? I am not
>> in a position to overwrite my normal install with the Stackless
>> binaries or make any system-wide changes that will impact other Python
>> programs, such as altering that registry key.
>
> Write a bat script to launch your application and modify the relevant
> environment variables Python uses there?

If it's just a case of setting the PYTHONPATH environment variable,
then I expect I can probably do that with setenv before Py_Initialize.
I just wondered if there was some other (external) way of configuring
them side by side.

Thanks,

Ben Sizer