[Stackless] 'Normal' sys.path being used instead of Stackless one

Ferdinando Milella f.milella at simx.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 17:09:41 CET 2009

>2009/1/19 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>:
>> Also, when Python is installed on an operating system the DLLs for
>> that release version are placed in 'Windows\System32'.
>
>As an aside, I find it a source of some amusement that the Python
>people see fit to throw the DLL into System32 but steadfastly refuse
>to add the Python directory or its scripts subdirectory to the PATH
>environment variable on installation so that Python is actually
>practical to use.

I am following this thread because I myself had in the past a few problems
with 'unconventional' installation of (Stackless) Python. Richard, correct
me if I am wrong, but not a long time ago Python default installation in
Windows were already using PATH environment variables (namely PYTHONPATH and
PYTHONHOME). I am not sure the exact reason why they changed this and went
for info stored in registration keys, but one thing is sure: from that point
on it was possible for me to install different versions of Python without
them clashing against each other and without changing those variables all
the time to run the version I wanted. Why do you need to install more
versions of Python on the same machine? Because (as in my case) there are
third-party applications with old versions of embedded (stackless) Python
you can't just simply replace, but you want to keep using the latest release
for your own purposes. I am sure there could be other possible reasons...

Regards

Nando