[Stackless] irc threads

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu Jul 9 22:54:26 CEST 2009

StacklessIO is written in C++.  It uses native facilities to notify an internal event queue when an IO request has completed, instead of requiring the "main tasklet" to regularly poll the sockets using select() which is inefficient.  This aims to minimize latency and reduce overhead.  It can also use the async. notification facility of the python C api to wake up sleeping tasklets without requiring the main tasklet to poll the event queue.
It is also more 'complete' in its emulation of the native socket module, I think.
But performance tests by Richard on his module have still shown it to be very capable, and to scale better than threaded solutions like your irc server, so it may well be quite adequate for the task.