[Stackless] ANN: psyco V2

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Jul 17 04:50:12 CEST 2009

Announcing Psyco V2 source release
----------------------------------

This is the long awaited announcement of Psyco V2.

Psyco V2 is a continuation of the well-known psyco project,
which was called finished and was dis-continued by its author
Armin Rigo in 2005, in favor of the PyPy project.

This is a new project, using Psyco's code base with permission
of Armin. Questions and complaints should go to me
(tismer at stackless.com) or the mailing list
(psyco-devel at lists.sourceforge.net);
Armin is explicitly not in charge of (t)his project any longer!

As one of the founders and an active member of the PyPy
project, I was very happy to be invited to work on Psyco
V2, by FATTOC, LLC. Psyco V2 tries to extend on the original Psyco
approach "an extension module that just makes Python faster".

Psyco is a just-in-time compiler that accelerates arbitrary
Python code by specialization. We believe that Psyco's approach
can be carried out much further than it was tried so far, when
it's first version was abandoned.

This first V2 release is source-only. There is no web-site, yet,
and there are no binaries for download. These will be available
in a few days on http://www.psyco.org .

For the time being, please stick with subversion access,
building the extension module from source code. The repository
is here:

     http://codespeak.net/svn/psyco/v2/dist

Check-out the repository, and run the setup.py script,
given that you have access to a C compiler.

Psyco V2 will run on X86 based 32 bit Linux, 32 bit Windows,
and Mac OS X. Psyco is not supporting 64 bit, yet. But it
is well being considered.

The current improvements are, shortly:

   - Support for Python 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6
   - a lot of new builtins
   - generators, fast and fully supported.

More information is coming soon on http://www.psyco.org .

This is the beginning of a series of new Psyco versions.
Many more improvements are prepared and about to be published,
soon, starting with the current version 2.0.0 .

Stay tuned, this is just the beginning of psyco's re-birth!

For questions about Psyco V2, please join the mailing list

     psyco-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

or contact me on IRC:

     #psyco on irc.freenode.net .

Psyco V2 is fundamentally supported by FATTOC, LLC.
See http://www.fattoc.com .

Without their continuous support, this work would not have
been possible at all. I wish to express my deepest thanks
to FATTOC, for allowing me to continue on Psyco with all the
energy that this ambitious project needs, and will need.

Further special thanks are going to
Armin Rigo, John Benediktsson, David Salomon, Miki Tebeka,
Raymond Hettinger, Fabrizio Milo, Michael Foord,
Dinu Gherman, Stephan Diehl, Laura Creighton and Andrea Tismer,
for all the support and discussions.

Looking forward to a great future of Psyco!

July 17, 2009