[Stackless] The Google Concurrent Programming videos

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 12 16:01:31 CEST 2009

Hi Folks:

I recently watched two videos Robert Pikes' "Advanced Topics in Concurrency/Message Passing" (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=810232012617965344) and Joe Gregorio's "(Lack of) Design Patterns in Python. A part of Gregorio's talk revolved around PyCSP. What was interesting is one person in the audience asked about Stackless Python. No response from Gregorio. Pity.

Pike's video dealt with Newsqueak. Newsqueak like Stackless, has channels. I found Pike's brief mention of deadlock interesting. I downloaded the Newsqueak programming paper. It is not difficult to convert a Newsqueak programme to a Stackless Python programme. Again, I found it interesting that Google, being a Python shop, would make no mention of Stackless.