[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 14:51:36 CET 2009

Hi Folks:

Maybe this would be better suited for a blog....

I came across the following thread:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=290

The thread is about a year old so I didn't contribute. Also I have been reading up on disruptive technologies. In the thread, a person questioned the need for concurrency primitives in a request/response system (that was massively parallel already). Fair enough - it is a way of looking at the world. However it strikes me that GAE is excluding new types of web applications. Doesn't bother me since I use EC2 which allows me more flexibility to pursue what I want. What attracted to me to Stackless (and eventually Twisted) was that WS-BPEL processors don't map well onto traditional web server frameworks. And more specifically, Stackless's pickling abilities makes WS-BPEL construction that much simpler. For instance the Apache ODE Jacob framework has many of Stackless's features. I guess all this makes me wonder about what features a next generation web language/framework/platform will have.