[Stackless] Google summer of code project ideas

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 16:34:19 CET 2009

Hi Richard:

--- On Fri, 3/20/09, Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Stackless] Google summer of code project ideas
> To: "Andrew Francis" <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
> Cc: stackless at stackless.com
> Date: Friday, March 20, 2009, 6:34 AM
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM,
> Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >>From: Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>
> >>Ideally we'd have several lined up, so that if
> anyone was interested,
> >>they'd be more likely to take them up.
> >
> > My first suggestion would be to write a Stackless
> Python aware pdb.
>
> Good idea Andrew, although I am not sure the scope of it is
> large enough to fill out the time a student must work.
>
> I've added a wiki page here to the Stackless wiki:
> http://zope.stackless.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2009

I find it interesting that you find a debugger a simple project. It probably is - if you know what you are doing. I think there are two
things that will take up time: 1) learning how pdb works. This means learning about the interpreter. 2) Learning about how tasklets work
under the hood.

In the end, I think a short project that is well managed and successful
is good.

After I finish my class (why do I keep taking classes?), I will probably start looking at a debugger. I don't think I could get up to speed quick enough to mentor though.