[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Alain Poirier alain.poirier at net-ng.com
Fri Mar 20 18:08:37 CET 2009

Hi,

On Friday 20 March 2009 14:51:36 Andrew Francis wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> Maybe this would be better suited for a blog....
>
> I came across the following thread:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=290
>
> The thread is about a year old so I didn't contribute. Also I have been
> reading up on disruptive technologies. In the thread, a person questioned
> the need for concurrency primitives in a request/response system (that was
> massively parallel already). Fair enough - it is a way of looking at the
> world. However it strikes me that GAE is excluding new types of web
> applications. Doesn't bother me since I use EC2 which allows me more
> flexibility to pursue what I want. What attracted to me to Stackless (and
> eventually Twisted) was that WS-BPEL processors don't map well onto
> traditional web server frameworks. And more specifically, Stackless's
> pickling abilities makes WS-BPEL construction that much simpler. For
> instance the Apache ODE Jacob framework has many of Stackless's features.

That's exactly for the same reason we based our Nagare (http://www.nagare.org)
web framework on Stackless: we don't (currently) use the tasklets to do
"classic "asynchronous I/O but, coupled with the powerful pickling ability of
Stackless, to mimic continuations.

> I guess all this makes me wonder about what features a next generation web
> language/framework/platform will have.

We started with the same components model than Seaside in Smalltalk, added
SQLAlchemy, native Web 2.0 interactions, Restful URL, security services ... to
obtain a really novel approach to the web developments.

So, yes, you can be sure I'd vote +1 for a Stackless integration in GAE ;)