[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 19:46:33 CET 2009

Hi Alan:

--- On Fri, 3/20/09, Alain Poirier

> That's exactly for the same reason we based our Nagare >(http://www.nagare.org)  web framework on Stackless: we don't (currently) >use the tasklets to do "classic "asynchronous I/O but coupled with the >powerful pickling ability of Stackless, to mimic continuations.

Cool! I heard of Nagare but don't know much less. I will download it and take a look. Well I wanted serialisation of execution state to help support Long Running Transactions. LRT is a fundamental concept in WS-BPEL. LRT is the motive behind compensation. Since a WS-BPEL transaction may wait an indeterminate amount of time (i.e., weeks for a backlogged order), it is nice to serialise the process to disk and revive it at a later date. This is often referred to as "hydration."

AF> I guess all this makes me wonder about what features a
AF> next generation web language/framework/platform will have.

>We started with the same components model than Seaside in
>Smalltalk, added SQLAlchemy, native Web 2.0 interactions, Restful URL,
>security services ... to  obtain a really novel approach to the web >developments.

Neat. I use Twisted for my networking needs. Right now, I am focused on implementing WS-BPEL features. So there is stuff for logical ordering (workflow) and scheduling. Unfortunately everything right now is a bit too rough for another developer to use. A challenge for me is to figure out how to create a framework that allows me to build WS-BPEL processors but another Python developer can use for their own purposes

> So, yes, you can be sure I'd vote +1 for a Stackless
> integration in GAE ;)

I would say +1 too. However I am content to use Amazon EC2 and my ASUS Surf for my Stackless needs.