[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Alain Poirier alain.poirier at net-ng.com
Tue Mar 24 01:10:42 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 March 2009 20:49:41 Christian Tismer wrote:
> On 3/20/09 6:08 PM, Alain Poirier wrote:
>
> > That's exactly for the same reason we based our Nagare
> > (http://www.nagare.org) web framework on Stackless: we don't (currently)
> > use the tasklets to do "classic "asynchronous I/O but, coupled with the
> > powerful pickling ability of Stackless, to mimic continuations.
>
> Whow.
> I'm very impressed.

Thanks Christian. But without the pickle enhancement you created nothing
could be possible. I personally think this golden nugget is not known enough
by the community. BTW, do you think it could be possible ? easy ? to extract
it into an extension module to the classic CPython ? A GSoC perhaps.

To be complete, we are planning to add the asynchronous I/O parts to Nagare.
First the HTTP requests handling which is the easier part because several
implementations already exist. Then the database connexion part which is more
difficult as the vast majority of the SQL drivers are coded in C and follow a
blocking model. But we already have encouraging prototypes, using (a fixed)
socketlibevent.py or Concurrence (http://code.google.com/p/concurrence/).

Regards