[Stackless] [Fwd: Wtrlt: Antw: Re: implementation of 'goto' for stackless python]

Phoenix Sol phoenix at burninglabs.com
Fri Mar 27 21:29:51 CET 2009

*goto*

<silly face/> I just don't get it. I'm totally clueless. Stumped; Stupefied.
I really thought maybe it was a joke. I'm thankful for the laugh, honestly.
<deep sigh/>
( no offense, please, I'm not laughing *at anyone* here; pfff, *laugh
at me*if you want to... )

Maybe if I looked at a Python implementation of goto, instead of wasting
your precious time, then I would get it...

I suppose I have it ingrained in my mind that goto must only exist in a
line-oriented context. I grant that it probably isn't theoretically confined
there, but I don't see how it could be sufficiently useful to carry it
elsewhere. Especially when we have tasklets, channels, and channel-wrapped
sockets and pipes, oh my! What is goto going to help out with here?

I'm not making fun of the idea (or anyone who favors it), I'm just very
amused... maybe it's the childhood trauma ;-)
I must have spent months of my childhood, around age 8 - 9, transcribing
BASIC from those horrible magazines and books. My mother kindly helped with
proof-reading and debugging. After (who knows how many) mind-numbing hours
of torture I began to understand a lot of the syntax and started writing my
own simple programs. But those games *really sucked ass*, and were hardly
rewarding... so I tossed the damned things (those infernal C64's and
C128's), and hardly touched a computer again until I was about 19 ;-)

I'm still convinced that computers are fundamentally evil ;-)