[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sat Mar 28 01:37:45 CET 2009

On 3/27/09 1:28 AM, Andrew Francis wrote:
> Hi Christian:
>
> --- On Thu, 3/26/09, Christian Tismer<tismer at stackless.com>  wrote:
>
>> Not to be misunderstood, I really support it and find it
>> useful. But is there anything about pickling that cannot be
>> replaced by something else?  I think, while being tedious, in principle
>it is always possible to emulate this.
>
> Okay pickling is not necessary but I think it makes certain
 > problems much easier. Moreover I think Stackless is richer,
 > not poorer for having it. I think the issue is to develop the
 > idioms for using pickling properly.

I'm not sure if I expressed my point clear enough.

My claim was that it might not be necessary to have pickling.
Given that there is complete enough introspection, then the
pickling could be implemented in user code.

Pickling: Something that enables you to store and restore
internal data structures. It does not have to be built-in.
If you know what to store and how to reproduce it, then any
code that is enough to reproduce state is a pickling.

And no: If python has enough introspection to implement some
pickling in user-code, then it does NOT become richer by built-in
pickling code, because this is an equivalence relation.

It might be faster or better in other ways, but not richer.

It is richer, only if the effect cannot be achieved in another way.
And this exactly was what I questioned.

ciao - chris