[Stackless] Google Application Engine Thread on Stackless

Guy Hulbert gwhulbert at eol.ca
Mon Mar 30 21:56:52 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-30-03 at 11:51 -0700, Andrew Francis wrote:
> Hi Guy:
>
> --- On Sat, 3/28/09, Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert at eol.ca> wrote:
>
> > Save a copies and run them.  Deal with the ones which
> > fail. You don't know if the swapped out versions will execute the
> > code path with the bug in it.
>
> Your description is let nature take its course.  I believe this is a

It's based on working as a sysadmin.  I managed the open text index
systems for a few months in 1997/8 ... I had to occasionally patch the
perl code with no access to the developers who wrote it ...
interesting ... my manager had been responsible for it previously so he
could sometimes give me a clue to how things worked.

>  conservative but safe approach. I suspect dynamic languages probably
> provide more leeway but would like to know the issues concerning a
> simple approach first.
>
> I think there are two general cases:
>
> 1) Modification of the pickled tasklet.
> 2) Modification of the pickled tasklet's environment (most likely a
> Stackless application)

You are assuming that the developers who write an application are
managing it in production.  I suppose that's more common these days but
I don't think it scales very well ;-(