[Stackless] Re : priority patch

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 18:45:03 CET 2009

Hi Kristjan:

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 21:18:31 +0000
From: Kristj?n Valur J?nsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>
To: "stackless at stackless.com" <stackless at stackless.com>
Subject: [Stackless] priority patch

>Hello there. Attached is a patch to the trunk stackless version, >implementing tasklet "priority".The motivation for this is to enhance the >throughput of stackless-based IO solutions, and the performance of >channel-based locks.

I thought about what I said in my previous post. More like what I didn't say. I would like to add you are doing great work and you should be commended for moving Stackless forward! I am not sure sure how I can use your work. However when I get a chance, I will download the patch and see what I can do with it.

That said, what I am trying to figure out is what problems you are trying
to solve that are specific to the architecture of the EVE-Online, and what problems are common to most Stackless Python based systems.

At the moment, I guess the next thing I am trying to understand are lock convoys. From my limited understanding I thought that lock convoys were a problem in a pre-emptive scheduling system. Then again, I believe EVE uses pre-emptive scheduling.

>If no one objects too strongly to this I'm hoping to get this accepted >into the trunk.

No go ahead.

Cheers,
Andrew