[Stackless] Update Re: [pypy-dev] Problem with pypy-c and stacklesssocket.py

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 17:53:30 CET 2009

Hi Armin:

--- On Thu, 11/5/09, Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:

> From: Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>

> I am afraid that you will not get much answers, mostly
> because we are not into developing or supporting the Stackless
>modules right now.

Fair enough.

> However the problem does not seem Stackless-oriented, but just a misuse >of reference counting.  You get obviously a weak proxy object, so the
> question is who made it and why, and why does it make a difference
> between CPython and PyPy.  Remember that as we don't have reference >counting, weak references can disappear at times that look a bit more >"random" in PyPy than in CPython.  I can only imagine that it's this
>kind of abuse of reference counting that hits you with PyPy (or Jython
>or IronPython fwiw).

Thanks for the response. I removed the weakrefs from stacklesssocket.
The echoserver no longer crashes. However my driver still reports errors
(about 25% of the connections fail, as opposed to about 60% and a
server crash).

At this stage, when I have time, I will put more debugging in stacklesssocket.py (or asyncore.py) and my driver to get more
information about what is happening.