[Stackless] Google's new Go programming language

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:35:24 CET 2009

2009/11/12 Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:
> Interesting stuff indeed.
> I's just a pity they didn't adopt more features from python, instead sticking with a C-like syntax and somewhat strong typing :)

I don't think they adopted any features from Python.  Several of the
people involved in this language worked on Limbo I believe.  And
rather than being a scripting language, it is a compiled language
which strong typing probably makes easier.

While one of my first thoughts was that any new language should
consider an indentation-based syntax, one of the things I miss in
Python is the ability to define functions as argument expressions.  In
Python, you can only do this using lambda, and it is hardly a
consistently readable tool let alone very flexible.  Seeing this in
Go, the C-like syntax has become appealing.

They have an nice example where they chain 100000 microthreads each
wrapping the same function that increases the value of a passed
argument by one, with channels inbetween.  Pumping a value through the
chain takes 1.5 seconds.  I can't imagine that Stackless will be
anything close to that, given the difference between scripting and
compiled code.

However, trying to read the compiler source code is a challenge.
Where Stackless' source code is relatively straightforward, Go's is
arcane and hard to decipher.  With globals having one letter names (g,
m) and function names being short and ambiguous.