[Stackless] Google's new Go programming language

Steve Rogers shr066 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 22:31:05 CET 2009

Go is reminiscent of a combination of C and Python as well, but you're
probably correct that it doesn't explicitly borrow anything from Python.  It
also reminds of a Lisp with C syntax.

# Steve

2009/11/11 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>

> 2009/11/12 Kristján Valur Jónsson <kristjan at ccpgames.com>:
> > Interesting stuff indeed.
> > I's just a pity they didn't adopt more features from python, instead
> sticking with a C-like syntax and somewhat strong typing :)
>
> I don't think they adopted any features from Python.  Several of the
> people involved in this language worked on Limbo I believe.  And
> rather than being a scripting language, it is a compiled language
> which strong typing probably makes easier.
>
> While one of my first thoughts was that any new language should
> consider an indentation-based syntax, one of the things I miss in
> Python is the ability to define functions as argument expressions.  In
> Python, you can only do this using lambda, and it is hardly a
> consistently readable tool let alone very flexible.  Seeing this in
> Go, the C-like syntax has become appealing.
>
> They have an nice example where they chain 100000 microthreads each
> wrapping the same function that increases the value of a passed
> argument by one, with channels inbetween.  Pumping a value through the
> chain takes 1.5 seconds.  I can't imagine that Stackless will be
> anything close to that, given the difference between scripting and
> compiled code.
>
> However, trying to read the compiler source code is a challenge.
> Where Stackless' source code is relatively straightforward, Go's is
> arcane and hard to decipher.  With globals having one letter names (g,
> m) and function names being short and ambiguous.
>
> Cheers,
> Richard.

Steve Rogers
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shrogers
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -- Theodore Roosevelt