[Stackless] Stackless Digest, Vol 70, Issue 15

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 17:48:50 CET 2009

Hello Andrew:

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 00:37:37 +0100
From: Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com>
Subject: Re: [Stackless] Google's new Go programming language

>It's interesting seeing the comments about my post as it makes its
>away around the sites I read. I've seen a few people comment that
>Stackless is crippled because it doesn't support a way to select on
>multiple channels. I've pointed out my solution, but those who
>complained haven't said one thing or another about it.

I haven't seen those posts but a lack of a select does not cripple Stackless. That is silly. Still I believe select makes it easier to
write clutter free event handlers.

Since I want to get into PyPy and believe PyPy Stackless.py provides
interesting opportunities for prototyping new features (i.e., experimenting with new scheduling algorithms), what I would like to do sometime next month:

1) Try to put Kristjan's changes into the PyPy Stackless.py module. I don't think that module has been worked on since 2007. Of course this would start of as a private copy of mine.

2) Write a scheduler.select() :  I believe it is easier if you have the scheduler's help.

3) If I can pick up enough of tool chain, see if I can write select as a language feature.

Cheers,
Andrew