[Stackless] Fwd: Stackless Python 2.6.3 for OSX (dmg)

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Thu Oct 15 04:48:46 CEST 2009

This whole issue (the side-by-side install of Stackless and "normal"
Python)
is more complicated than it seems (unless I really want a 150MB copy of
something that is 99% the same and then remember which one is which, and
which packages are installed where) -- and since Stackless is meant
as a (mostly) fully compatible drop-in for "normal" Python IMHO the
"right" thing to do is replace (or originate) the /Library/Framework
python
install.  Note that on the Mac if you even *have* a /Library/Framework
install, then you've already installed a non-factory Python distribution
(the stock OS-X one is in /System/Library/...) so the ramifications
are less than if we were replacing the version that shipped with the OS.

I suppose it might be a good idea to provide an alternative installer
that does a side-by-side install... maybe the first person who needs
it can contribute to the cause... :-)