[Stackless] Montreal Python Talk / What Makes Stackless Stackless?

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 00:05:11 CEST 2009

Hi Folks:

Next week, I am giving my talk to the Montreal Python User's group.
I would like to add a section on "What Makes Stackless Stackless." I guess under the hood, part of the difference between CPython and Stackless Python is the multiple stacks and Python data being stored on the heap rather than the C stack.

I understand that the "Continuations with Stackless Python" talk is old. From my recollection of previous discussions, continuations are not used. Rather stack frames are moved around.

What I would like to know is whether there is still a dispatcher object? One of my problems is that I don't have a good idea of how the CPython interpreter is organised. If I have a Stackless Python distribution and a CPython distribution, what files should I be looking at to get a rough idea of the differences? I would be more than happy to send half a day looking at this.

Cheers,
Andrew