[Stackless] Ann: Stackless Psyco

Nicholas Piël nicholas at nichol.as
Sat Apr 17 14:57:01 CEST 2010

On Apr 17, 2010, at 12:44 AM, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Have you actually downloaded and tried?
> I need testing, and especially I need crash reports :-)

I am sorry, can't help you there. I was unable to crash it.

I just did some testing on a MBPro dual core 2.2Ghz with Debian Lenny and OSX 10.6. Was able to compile and run it flawlessly on both machines. I tested the following two things:

- nbody benchmark (n=1.000.000)
  http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32/program.php?test=nbody&lang=pypy&id=1

- Andrew Dalke's Ring Benchmark (100.000 tasklets)
  http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/2009/11/15/100000_tasklets.html

The results are measured with 'time <bench>':

Nbody         =  44,910sec
Nbody w/Psyco =   9,184sec
Ring          =   0,596sec
Ring  w/Psyco =   1,524sec

So, not only was I able to run it, it actually improves the performance, at least for the nbody benchmark. The ring benchmark, which relies heavily on soft-switching shows a performance degradation.

When i wrap the main loop of NBody in a tasklet, Psyco.full() is unable to automatically optimize it and i have to specifically bind Psyco to that object. I am not sure if this is expected behavior.

I am really looking forward to 64bit support and better switching support!

Cheers,
Nicholas