[Stackless] Old Error! API is broken since 2.4.3

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sun Apr 18 20:15:44 CEST 2010

On 4/18/10 8:52 AM, Richard Tew wrote:
> 2010/4/13 Christian Tismer<tismer at stackless.com>:
>
>> I came across this because I got into trouble when implementing
>> Stackless support for Psyco. I think I can get along this by
>> adding the necessary support functions to Psyco. This is easier
>> right now than to consistently fix all Stackless versions.
>> But the latter needs to be done, ASAP.
>>
> In the worst case where every point releases is fixed (e.g. 2.5.1,
> 2.5.2, .. etc), this will involve branching tagged revisions,
> modifying the relevant branches and retagging the result.  However,
> this would be doable.
>
> What would be impractical is rebuilding the binaries, and where
> applicable the installer, for each and every one of these.  It would
> be best to simply add notes to the binary/installer download pages
> that every obsoleted point release has a broken API that is
> incompatible with Psyco, and that if someone wants a version that is
> compatible with it, they should compile it themselves.  Or pay me to
> do it ;-)
>
> In any case, the latest point release for each major version should
> have rebuilt binaries.  As it stands we are still pending a 3.1.2
> release which I have not had a chance to do, so while I still do not
> have time in the near future, if the changes were in before I did it
> the release would include them and would not need to be redone.
>
> Do you have the time to apply all the fixes?

Yes, I think I can do all fixes. It is actually not that much, at least for
what psyco needs. And it is not urgent, because psyco has the fixes,
itself. My concern was more like what happens if somebody tries
to use it. But that seems nobody has attempted, yet.

I agree that it is enough to patch the maintenance latest versions.
Don't worry, I will take care of it. I just wanted to tell everybody
that we have a long-standing, unrecognized flaw in the API.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
tismerysoft GmbH           :     Have a break! Take a ride on Python's