[Stackless] "ImportError: No module named stackless" after installation on Ubuntu

Martijn van Iersel mvaniersel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 20:37:56 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm trying to install stackless python on Ubuntu 10.04, but it doesn't
seem to be working. Here is what I tried:

Download source from
http://www.stackless.com/binaries/stackless-27-export.tar.bz2
untar
./configure --enable-shared
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

But when I then do

/usr/local/bin/python
>>> import stackless

I get:

ImportError: No module named stackless

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? How can I start troubleshooting?

NB I didn't notice any compilation errors. After running make again,
just to check, I got the output below; it appears a few modules failed
to compile, could that be the cause?

martijn at arlene:~/lib/stackless-27$ make
running build
running build_ext
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_bsddb             _sqlite3           _ssl
_tkinter           bsddb185           dbm
gdbm               sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

running build_scripts

thanks in advance,
Martijn