[Stackless] Interested in helping out Stackless?

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 15:40:30 CEST 2010

Hi Richard:

Some comments:

From talking to folks at EuroPython - the separate binary is a
big impediment. Christian was working on integrating Stackless
with Psyco and making it a module. I am increasingly convinced
that this is the way to go. I was thinking about learning about
stackless through looking at the stackless transform in PyPy. I
am interested integrating stackless with the JIT. However it seems
the knowledge to do this in PyPy is being lost. Maybe it is
better than I look at Psyco instead? In order to do this, I and others
would have to be so much, not spoonfeed, but taken by the hand
for awhile.

>At some point I decided that I wanted to have a monkey-patched socket
>object, that looked and worked exactly like the standard Python socket
>object, but worked with Stackless.

>Take a look at gevent for an example of how far this can be taken:
> http://www.gevent.org/gevent.monkey.html

>To some degree, the code from gevent may be able to be abstracted so
>that it can serve both projects.  But gevent is based on libevent, and
>this is a dependency that should be able to be wholly or partially
>done away with.  It should be possible to write this support using
>standard library resources, whether asyncore or ctypes.

I met Denis at EuroPython. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look
at gEvent in detail so I couldn't ask pointed questions. As for libevent. Go uses libevent under the hood for its networking needs - which is a
realistic solution. So maybe standardizing on this isn't so bad. I feel
users don't want so much flexible choices but a firm networking solution.

That is why stacklessocket is used - it solves problems. Myself, I use Twisted because I know how to integrate them and I really don't want
to deal with low level details. Given what I have seen with generators,
Stackless is far, far better....