[Stackless] Planning Stackless Lite

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 18:53:13 CET 2010

Hi Richard:

>This sounds a bit strange to me.  What maintenance are greenlets not
>getting?

I believe Greenlets are at version 0.2 and I don't think they have been worked on for a while. This probably does not have any significance to Stackless Python but it may have a significance to PyPy.

To the best of my knowledge, PyPy supports soft switching only. However
greenlets use hard switching and stackless.py is built on top of greenlets. I don't know if this means there is room for improvement in the PyPy world in this regard.

>The advantage they have over Stackless, is that they are an
>extension that does not need to be maintained.  The only work they
>require is additional assembler files for additional platforms.

Another advantage is that greenlets are good for prototyping. As per Carl
Bolz and Stephan Diehl's advice, I use greenlets in conjunction with stackless.py and Standard Python to experiment with new features (i.e., select - soon to become event handlers).

Cheers,
Andrew

Cheers,
Andrew