[Stackless] Planning Stackless Lite

Stephan Diehl stephan at transvection.de
Wed Feb 3 19:13:57 CET 2010

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Francis wrote:
[...]
> So greenlets can be taken out of the stackless.py module if one
> is compiling to pypy-c? Again, pardon my lack of knowledge. In this
> context, what are greenlets providing? Does this imply that stackless.py
> needs a minor rewriting?

there seems to be some kind of misunderstanding.
The pypy applevel stackless.py uses Coroutines in order to implement its
functionality. These Coroutines are integral part of pypy if you compile
it with the --stackless option. If you are using this stackless module
somewhere else, the coroutines are emulated by greenlets. So, in other
words, the greenlets are a fallback option if native Coroutines are not
available.

Hope this make sense, Stephan