[Stackless] Installing python + stackless python on the same machine?

Simon Pickles sipickles at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:08:19 CET 2010

Richard Tew wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Andriy Drozdyuk <drozzy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but that thread is confusing.
>> When he says "it is a better idea to install stackless in /usr/local/
>> " how do I do that?
>> It installs wherever it installs by itself when I call "make install"?
>>

> I do not use these tools myself, developing on Windows, but I believe
> it is common knowledge that you can choose where software gets
> installed by passing options to 'configure'.  Maybe look in
> './configure --help' before you execute it?  The word 'prefix' comes
> to mind, so I imagine the option would be related to that.

Richard is right, you can modify the install location in configure.

My advice is don't. It will install in /usr/local, leaving your regular
python in /usr

Just rename the stackless python binary to give you a choice when
running python:

mv /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/spython

/usr/local/bin is scanned before /usr/bin. Renaming it avoids your
system running stackless when it calls 'python' . You can call stackless
by running 'spython'

Hope this is right, all from memory :)

Si