[Stackless] Planning Stackless Lite

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Jan 19 21:33:05 CET 2010

Yes I do. Pre-emptive scheduling will be supported in the things-to-do
periodic interrupt of the interpreter. That is between-opcodes
scheduling, while the cooperative swithes are in-opcode, typically a
function call. These will operate at high speed, using multiple stacks.

Thank you very much for the input, very helpful. I am thinking to get
rid of the stack slicing approach. All code that is totally described
in terms of how to save/restore stack state can execute on any of the
stacks. I need to find out how to manage stacks efficiently without
using much memory. Stacks must be created often. On tasklet
deactivation, its stack will be shrunk to the minimum, and on
reactivation a new one will be allocated. I need to draw some pictures
about the resulting forest. It is probably necessary to restrict free
scheduling a bit to a handful of contexts.

Cheers - chris

Sent from my iPhone