[Stackless] PEP 3146: Merging Unladen Swallow into Python

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Fri Mar 12 22:19:12 CET 2010

On 2/21/10 7:32 PM, Richard Tew wrote:
> My Google Alert picked up an interesting reference to Stackless this
> morning.  It relates to how if the Unladen Swallow merge into Python
> goes ahead, how Stackless might need to change (with us doing the
> work).
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3146/#known-incompatibilities
>
> -- >8 -- 8<  --
>
> Invasive forks of CPython such as Stackless Python [115]  are more
> challenging to support. Since Stackless is highly unlikely to be
> merged into CPython [116] and an increased maintenance burden is part
> and parcel of any fork, we consider compatibility with Stackless to be
> relatively low-priority. JIT-compiled stack frames use the C stack, so
> Stackless should be able to treat them the same as it treats calls
> through extension modules. If that turns out to be unacceptable,
> Stackless could either remove the JIT compiler or improve JIT code
> generation to better support heap-based stack frames [117], [118].
I am still at designing Stackless Lite. That should work with Unladen.
Although I think there will not be much porting effort necessary.

Besides that, Stackless is going Psyco, which got higher priority
meanwhile. More on that next week, when I have official infos.
Under that new move, X86 users will most probably stick with the
Psyco Jit.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>