[Stackless] About Adding Features to Stackless

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 19:29:22 CET 2010

Hello Colleagues:

As I have mentioned before,  I have been experimenting with adding a Go select (or Limbo Alt) like features to Stackless Python. I have been using Greenlets and PyPy's Stackless.py to prototype. I am almost done and it does not resemble the way it is done in Newsqueak/Limbo/Go (for starters it is a class). I'll a modified stackless.py within the week so folks can play with it and provide suggestions.

So far it seems that very little needs to be changed in Stackless to support this feature - merely adding a new method to channel ( I call it addOperation()) and moving the setting of _channel out of channel_action(). This all that is needed to support select like features.

At this stage, I would like to implement this in C Stackless Python. I guess I can work on my private copy. Not that I am asking that this be necessarily included in Stackless Python. However is there a procedure for doing experimental work? This is new for me.

Note - I will try to write up stuff in my blog. Also I would like to give a talk to my Python User's group about this.

Cheers,
Andrew