[Stackless] Problem compiling Stackless

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 05:29:37 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Stephen Hansen <apt.shansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile -r79517(the HEAD) from release26-maint, and run into
> this problem:
> gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DSTACKLESS_FRHACK=0 -DNDEBUG -g
> -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include
> -I./Stackless  -fPIC -DPy_BUILD_CORE -fno-omit-frame-pointer -O2 -I. -o
> Stackless/core/slp_transfer.o ./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c
> ./Stackless/platf/switch_x86_unix.h: In function 'slp_transfer':
> ./Stackless/platf/switch_x86_unix.h:37: error: PIC register 'ebx' clobbered
> in 'asm'
> This is Ubuntu 9.04, fully updated, 32-bit. But its also virtual private
> server (OpenVZ) so I don't know entirely if that's supported.
> Thanks in advance.

Hi Stephen,

When I get errors these days, I generally google them.  I mention this
in order to hopefully help people not have to wait for help on a
mailing list.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%22error%3A+PIC+register+%27ebx%27+clobbered+in+%27asm%27%22+stackless

Looking at the first match and its alternates gives this solution:

http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2009-May/004126.html

This is one of the most commonly asked questions WRT Stackless.