[Stackless] Select and 2010 EuroPython Submission

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 22:06:41 CEST 2010

Hi Folks:

I made a submission to EuroPython 2010. The title is "Prototyping Go's Select  for Stackless Python with stackless.py." I gave a dry run of the talk at Montreal Python 13. Based on feedback, I am changing aspects of the talk. Also I am learning new things - for instance the discovery of Go's reflect and runtime libraries which I need to play with. Also because I envision select being used for event handlers, folks got a bit confused when I showed eventHandler rather than select. Also folks get confused between Go Select and UNIX select. I will provide the EuroPython folks with a more detailed outline within a day or two.

Meanwhile, I am working with my friend Kevin. He is taking a stab at putting select into Stackless Python's C code. I am not use to writing technical blog posts but some of the details are here: http://andrewfr.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/prototyping-gos-select-for-stackless-python-with-stackless-py/

Right now, my code is really conservative, built more to get acquainted with Rob Pike's algorithms. In the days and weeks to come, I am going to modify things on the stackless.py side. First, I will adopt a more Plan9/Go approach to implementing Select (channels are essentially wrappers for a more basic Alt structure). Also I want to explore a few ideas for optimisations to the Go/Plan9 select.