[Stackless] Creating a relation between tasklets to forward exceptions

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 05:20:24 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Gabriel Lavoie <glavoie at gmail.com> wrote:
> If there really isn't any way to create a relation between tasklets to
> forward exceptions with Stackless Python, why such a decision was made (if
> it was)? I'm just curious and I need to explain this in my thesis.

Only Christian could answer that question to give you an authoritative answer.

The natural Pythonic way to create this relation, would be to use weak
references taking advantage of the callbacks they provide, to detect
when a tasklet exits and is cleaned up.

Of course, generally people need to wrap functions that are passed to
newly started tasklets so that any exceptions raised within them that
are not TaskletExit related, are not raised out of the scheduler
interrupting it.  But that fits in with the general theme of Stackless
being a barebones framework which people need to do a minimal amount
of work with to make best use of it.