[Stackless] world example on stackless site

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 02:37:14 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Werner Thie <werner at thieprojects.ch> wrote:
> Just wanted to diddle with simulation stuff and stackless and found the code
> from Boudewijn Rempt listed on the stackless site. A quick overview showed
> that Qt is now in Nokias hand and version 4.6 is the current one. This posed
> not too big a problem but then digging further I stumbled when coming across
> functions like uthread.Timer().
>
> uthred apparently went thru some iterations and even has offsprings with
> suffixes like ccp and asgeier.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - is it a worthwhile effort to bring Boudewijns code up to what we have in
> 2010?

No idea.  If you consider it worthwhile to do for yourself, then it is
worthwhile.  Given the lack of preceding queries along this line, I
doubt there is a pressing demand for it :-)

> - him using uthread is it reasonable to base simulation stuff on this
> particular library (what version then?) or would it be better to use
> something else?

It is the best option you have for low-level functionality.

> - if uthread in its current incarnation is used, why were those functions
> Boudewijn used dropped and how can they be replaced?

Stackless used to be based on continuations, and the original uthread
module was implemented around them.  Now microthreads are a component
of the Stackless implementation, and a separate module is not required
to implement them.  So uthread is different too.

While it is not the answer you want to hear, the functionality you are
missing can be replaced by someone who wants it.  And that someone, is
currently you.  Unfortunately, no-one else is going to volunteer to
add it, and you are the only person who has ever mentioned a need for
it.

Good luck! :-)