[Stackless] Problem with xmlrpc over stacklesssocket

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 05:24:53 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Ray Gallagher <omyar_hunt at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Howdy folks.
>
> Was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Not sure if stacklesssocket is your project exactly though.
>
> I'm having trouble with the basic python xmlrpc client over stacklesssocket. Basically, whenever I try to connect, the tasklet hangs. Other network protocols (basic http and memcache connections) seem to work fine. Also, the SimpleXMLRPCServer works fine under stacklesssocket. Seems to only be the xmlrpc client.
>
> Anyone know how to tweak stacklesssocket to work with xmlrpc? I've attached runnable example code.
>
> (notes on the code: I added the timeout_func when stacklesssocket complained to me about not having it. Also, if the loop tasklet is taken out, the process exits naturally without finishing the xmlrpc call. So I'm assuming there's a channel waiting on a message that never comes somewhere...)
>
> stacklesssocket is from here: http://stacklessexamples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/examples/networking/stacklesssocket.py and the stackless version itself is 2.63

You could try the older less correct version of this module, and see
if that lets you get away with it.

Your only other option is to try and debug this yourself.
Unfortunately, this would potentially take more time than I can spare
right now.  It does indicate that the module should be run against
more than just the standard library socket tests.  Really, I guess, in
an ideal world I would be running the entire Python test suite against
a set of modules like it.

I will try and get time to test the module against the unit tests for
this, and similar higher level networking related modules in the next
couple of weeks.  But it could be anything.  Maybe internally it makes
use of select, maybe it uses threads, otherwise it should be
reasonable to expect it to just work.