[Stackless] Watchdog and Channel Receiving in C

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 00:19:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Dave Butler <dave at hoppit.net> wrote:

> I've browsed through some of the stackless code, and I'm not entirely sure
> what is happening in there.  It appears to me that when data is received on
> a channel, it immediately fires off the rest of the function rather than
> scheduling it for execution?  I may be entirely wrong here...
>
> Has anyone encountered this at all?  I'm happy to delve into and make
> changes to the stackless code if necessary, or if someone knows a better
> method to achieve the same thing I would appreciate any pointers.  I would
> prefer to go under the assumption that script-writers do NOT know how
> stackless works and should not be required to do any cooperative scheduling
> themselves.  Feel free to let me know if I was unclear on any particular
> points.

Hi Dave,

How a channel behaves with regard to scheduling when an operation is
performed on it, is determined by its preference attribute.  See this entry:

http://disinterest.org/resource/stackless/2.6-docs-html/library/stackless/channels.html#channel.preference

And this entry:

http://disinterest.org/resource/stackless/2.6-docs-html/library/stackless/channels.html#channel.schedule_all