[Stackless] About submissions to this list

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Aug 10 01:21:44 CEST 2011

On 8/9/11 9:41 PM, Richard Tew wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Rob Coops<rcoops at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> There is one issue... and that is that what for you or me might seem like an
>> unrelated subject for the author there clearly is a link between the subject
>> and the body of the message. Though correcting the subject might not be a
>> bad plan rejecting the message might frustrate some of the mailing list
>> subscribers.
>> I would suggest informing the author that the subject and the body seem
>> unrelated and suggest a correction, rather then an outright reject.
>> Looking at the volume of the message on this list it cannot be a huge amount
>> of work to filter out the messages that do not meet the criteria and to
>> suggest a better subject. It would be a much friendlier way of dealing with
>> the seemingly unrelated subject and body messages.
> While in theory I agree, in practice I think that Christian should set
> the list to reject posts.  It saves us from becoming a bottleneck in
> moderating posts, and it allows a poster to get a quicker response
> when they need it.  Slowness in reaching the list members due to slow
> moderation can also be a source of frustration.

I understand your point pretty well, Rob, but tend quite a bit
towards Richards practical view. There are a few people who
are constantly putting their spare time into this list, and fixing
sometimes easy, often harder problems. The motivation for
this is not improved when there is not even a sensible subject line.

Out digests are small, most of the time, but not always. So just
changing the subject line works sometimes, more or less, and that
it also easy to forget when in the process of writing a reply.
The "harder" rule to reject replies on a digest makes more sense,
if clearly stated in the mailman page:
"""It is possible to get digests of the messages. But if you want to
reply on a discussion, you need to receive individual mails."""

I think that rule is quite fair to everybody.

Where I have to admit that I belong to the lazier guys, although
being the one who caused all the trouble... But after some serious health
issues, finding a lost message due to an invalid subject line has
become a serious problem because I'm pretty much blinded.
Nevertheless it was annoying before that as well ;-) .

Still undecided - ly  yours -- chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
14109 Berlin                 :     PGP key ->  http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/