[Stackless] Stackless documentation

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 03:57:06 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have downloaded the documentation and I am reading it over. So far quite
> though. Great job. I am not sure what to recommend. You closed a big gap
> with the explanation of preferences. I posted some notes on preferences but
> I haven't done much with it since.

Thanks Andrew.

> Some things - maybe include a state machine (or let me look at the code
> some more and I can do that)
>
> I could clean up my sieve of eratosthenes example that allows pickling and
> include it as a more complex pickling example

I can't say I have any idea about how well these would fit in.  I haven't
written a state machine since I  left university, so given that and the
sieve of erathosthenes, both sound more academic than practical to me.
 However, you're more onto what can be explained by each than me, so if you
think you can incorporate them in a suitable way that demonstrates something
usefully.. then by all means do it and make a patch.

Most of the documentation is API-centric at the moment.  But another option
would be to take Grant's tutorial and to work more material into that, as a
general Stackless documentation tutorial.  We'd probably want to ask Grant
to explicitly license it as whatever license Python documentation is in
general if we are going to include it - as Stackless is licensed the same as
Python.

> I have notes on deadlock and code.
>
> Maybe some more notes on extending and embedding Stackless Python - that
> seems to be a fairly common topic.

That's definitely something that would be good to have in there, especially
an API reference.  I look forward to seeing your already much appreciated
patch for this as well :-)