[Stackless] cross compile stackless from x86 to mipsel

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Feb 10 03:27:07 CET 2011

On 2/9/11 11:05 AM, Luca Dionisi wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Richard Tew<richard.m.tew at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> You could probably find what revision it was added to the Python SVN
>> repository if you really wanted to know.
> It would be of very little help.
> I was just trying to find out who to ask for enlightenment on the
> logic of the code, and some help with asm.

Well, I wrote the initial code for X86, but have no real clue about
other architectures. Although this did not stop me from hacking
on it ;-)
> I thought that this code was not in common with Python or other
> variants, because it is arch dependent and so strictly needed for the
> stack-less variant.

The problem is that without changing the interpreter implementation
completely, context switching requires assembly or at least hardware
dependent code. That is the main reason that Stackless will always
be a branch.

PyPy solves it completely without stis stuff (when compiled), as long
as PyPy is in its own world. As soon as extension modules are considered,
the problem pops up again. So I fear even in PyPy, it will still be needed.

The switching code of Stackless was extracted for Greenlets, which are
also used in parts of PyPy (uncompiled), so it is funny that this
little crap is living forever.

And I'm wondering about the connection to openWRT ??? It is a quite
different theme and I read a lot about it for my Buffalo router.
What is the relation to Stackless?
Although all this router stuff is great, I have very different thought
here...

Maybe we should chat a bit by private mails.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>
14109 Berlin                 :     PGP key ->  http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/