[Stackless] cross compile stackless from x86 to mipsel

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu Feb 10 15:43:14 CET 2011

On 2/10/11 4:02 AM, Jeff Senn wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2011, at 9:27 PM, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
>> And I'm wondering about the connection to openWRT ??? It is a quite
>> different theme and I read a lot about it for my Buffalo router.
>> What is the relation to Stackless?
>> Although all this router stuff is great, I have very different thought here...
>>
>> Maybe we should chat a bit by private mails.
>>
>> cheers - chris
> Chris-
>
> I'm wondering if the thought you have is something like:
>
> Since it's on an embedded platform with limited OS and perhaps
> no C extensions, could we have a simple stackless that
> *only* does soft-switching?
>
> If so, I am interested in this thought since I have an embedded
> platform where it would be interesting -- I've looked briefly at
> it... only enough to realize that it's not trivial to get rid
> of all the dependencies on stack switching given the current
> organization of the code...
>
> And if that wasn't your thought...
> anyone care to think about it? :-)

Hi Jeff,

no, I actually meant OpenWRT, DD-WRT and others, which do a great
job in the end. But I don't like the way they are implemented. Hard to
maintain, arcane software technology. I would like to find the time
and redo some of that. Writing a nice tool in Python that generates
the code for a router, produces any GUI you like. I would go so far
to provide the router with an API only and to write a PyQT application
to access the router.

But they squeeze it all in there, with some Javascript, with menus that
work, but are not really flexible, are limited when it comes to more
advanced stuff, and, most importantly, there are no good tests at all.
I think there could be done so much better if they leave this C level
coding by hand.

But I think this is a common problem with lots of embedded
software. They think it must be written in C, to become fast.
This is in multiple ways very false.

---

On your simple stackless with soft-switching only:
Well, at first glance, we just need to disable the hard-switching part.
Would that what remains from Stackless then be enough for you?

Of course it could be interesting to have the complete Stackless
solution in PyPy (very doable) and then cross-compile for that
router thingie? But I'm not sure if that's the whole story, since PyPy
is quite huge. Where are the limits for your platform?

It would work without the JIT, and there is probably a problem with
generated code, anyway I guess? Then yeah, cross-compilation
of Stackless PyPy-c could be a solution.

what do you think?

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)<mailto:tismer at stackless.com>