[Stackless] Stackless in ARM

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 01:38:27 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The only way I found to force the relevant code to be included was this
> command:
> >
> > EXTRA_CFLAGS='-DSTACKLESS -D__arm32__ -DPy_STACKLESS_H' make
> >
> > But then I get an error during the build of
> ./Stackless/core/slp_transfer.c
>
> Never mind. The comment in that file told me what to do.

Hi Luca,

Specifying "STACKLESS" should be completely pointless.  This is defined in
"stackless.h" and undefined by the same file if you do not have the required
symbols.  If by defining "Py_STACKLESS_H" you are preventing "stackless.h"
from being included, then you are doing it wrong.

The real warning sign here is that you have to define "__arm32__".  This
indicates to me that your cross-compilation environment is non-standard or
incorrect

So here are your alternate options, as I see them:
- Just go with what you have because it works.
- Fix your cross compilation tool if it is not set up correctly, or working
correctly, so that it provides the correct symbols (i.e. "__arm32__").
- Find out what symbols your cross compilation tool is providing (there's a
gcc option for this) and identify if perhaps your target environment is one
with slightly different symbols than Stackless handles.  Identify what the
correct ones are and how they map to the existing switching support you are
using, and submit a patch for Stackless so they work too.