[Stackless] PyCon 2011 Talk Acceptence and Questions on Greenlets

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:58:00 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A new version of my 2010 EuroPython Talk "Prototyping Go's Select with stackless.py for Stackless Python" got accepted as a part of the extreme track. I want to learn from my EuroPython mistakes and make this an accessable, accurate, and overall great talk that makes folks want to use Stackless.

It's good to see two Stackless-related talks at PyCon.
Congratulations on getting it accepted.

> On a different note, I am trying to learn more about that greenlets do under the hood. In part, I am running the greenlet code in a debugger to get a feel for what is happening but I am not quite sure what I should be looking for specifically. My question is I don't see any modifications to the eval functions in ceval.c. So is this what is meant at a more technical level by hard-switching?

This has been discussed and described multiple times in the past.  You
really should be able to find out by web searching.  Posting to this
mostly silent mailing list, will not get you an answer anywhere near
as fast as doing research.  Searching for "stackless hard switching"
yielded this post in the first few results.

  http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2009-September/004268.html

It is Kristjan Valur telling you about hard switching and soft switching.